HOW TO RECYCLE GLASS IN sANTA fE
Glass is NOT accepted in your blue recycling cart. Please bring your glass to one of the recycling drop-off locations located around the City:
Do not illegally dump at our sites, at the transfer station, or in the arroyos. It is illegal and it puts lives at risk.
Glass Recycling FAQs
Does the City recycle Glass?
- Yes, the City recycles glass! Glass is accepted at all City drop-off locations, and at the Buckman Road Recycling and Transfer Station.
Where does the glass go for recycling?
- The glass collected at the drop-offs in Santa Fe is shipped to Momentum Recycling, a glass recycling plant in Colorado. Visit their website to learn more.
Why can’t I put glass into my recycling cart?
- Single-stream recycling – where all the items are mixed together in one cart and collected by an automated truck – increases recycling rates and is much safer than the old hand-collection system. When the City made this switch in 2017, curbside glass collection was no longer physically possible or economically viable because the City’s MRF does not have the equipment to sort glass from the other materials in the carts.
How do I prepare glass for recycling?
- Glass taken to a drop-off location should be emptied of any food/liquid. Remove plastic and metal caps; wrappers and labels can be left on.
What if I can’t transport my glass to a drop-off location?
- If you can’t make it to a drop-off site to recycle your glass, it’s okay to place it in your green trash cart.
For more information about what is and isn't accepted in our curbside recycling program, please click here.