mayor's youth advisory board
The role of the Mayor's Youth Advisory Board is to advise the Mayor and the member of the City Council on youth issues. We serve to represent and convey the views of the youth of Santa Fe to the city government and organizations. We are open to any feedback that students or adults alike may have. Please contact us with any suggestions or comments.
What do we do?
- We constantly provide input to the Mayor and City Council on youth policy and work together to get youth engaged in our community.
- We have been looking at the issue of violence amoung youth and are discovering what would work best to prevent violence and create a safe and productive learning environment. We are working with police to build positive relationships with youth so they think of the officers as a resource in times of need.
- We are working to create a new teen center in Santa Fe to provide an educational, recreational, workforce training, medical and informational place for youth.
- We are also looking into the problem of domestic violence, because it had been known to be a precursor to many of the problems facing youth today.
- Work with the governing body on the Mayor's Youth Summit and outcomes
- Since 2015 MYAB has lead the Mayor's Youth Summit to discuss issues teens have in our community such as workforce, medical and immigration issues.
- A Homework Diner has opened for tutoring and meals
- Because of our hardwork, the City of Santa Fe approved our request to allow all youth in the community to ride the City buses at no cost.
- As a result of youth discussions held regarding the ban on skateboarding on the Plaza, the City Council funded the constructions of the De Vargas Park, Franklin Miles Park and GCCC skateboard facilities.
- Because of our recommendation, the City of Santa Fe approved funding for the remodel of the Carlos Ortega Teen Center using a facility design drafted by the teen participants of the 1997 Youth Summit.
George Carrasco, Project Adminstrator/Board Liaison
Youth and Family Services Division
(505) 955-6728 email@example.com