Christmas Tree Recycling
Environmental Services Division (ESD) encourages you to recycle your real Christmas tree by dropping it off at Franklin Miles Park or the Buckman Road Recycling & Transfer Station. Recycling Christmas trees into mulch provides woody material that can help to make Santa Fe’s soils healthy, increase water retention and provide nutrients for plants.
Recycling a real Christmas tree:
Make sure that all lights, ornaments, flocking and decorations on the tree are removed before recycling. No stands.
Trees can be brought to the following locations:
- Franklin Miles Park (Corner of Camino Carlos Rey & Siringo Rd.) until February 1, 2019.
- Mulch will be available on a first come, first served basis.
- Buckman Road Recycling & Transfer Station (2600 Buckman Road) Christmas trees will be accepted free up until January 31, 2018. Mixed loads containing trash and a tree will be charged appropriate fees.
- Mulch is available most times for free. Call to confirm availability.
Disposing of a real or artificial Christmas tree:
- Do not place an artificial or real tree into a City recycling cart!
- You can place an artificial or real tree in your trash Make sure that the cart lid closes. If it sticks out, ESD trucks cannot pick up your cart.
- If the tree is too big to fit into a City trash cart, call ESD at 955-2200 and arrange for a large item pickup. ESD customer service will schedule a collection and provide the current charge information. Trees placed curbside without being scheduled will not be collected.
For more information, contact the Environmental Service Division at (505) 955-2200.