Oversize Load Permits
Procedures for moving large loads
A permit is required to move a house or oversize load from point A to point B within the City limits of Santa Fe; or from outside the City limits to a location within the City limits; or from within the City limits of Santa Fe to a point outside the City limits of Santa Fe; or any time the State of New Mexico Motor Transportation Police Division requires an escort.
Prior to the issuance of a permit:
- Give a minimum of 72 hour notice to the City of Santa Fe.
- Provide proof of insurance.
- Route description along with reasonably anticipated traffic / utility disruption.
- Make arrangements with Santa Fe Police Department or escort service.
- Complete sign off list and submit with $30.00 fee (additional $300.00 if police department is being utilized) paid to the City of Santa Fe.
The Requirements for the City permit are for any loads larger than the dimensions listed below:
14’ 0” High
Along with a City permit requirement comes an escort requirement. An escort will be required on City streets at all times. The dimensions requirements for a police escort are as follows or when directed by the Santa Fe Police Department for public safety concerns: 20’ or Wider or a distance of 5 miles or more.
If a police escort is utilized, the fee will be $ 300.00 a day (in addition to any other fees required by the City of Santa Fe or other local, state, or federal agencies). The fee will be paid prior to the load being moved through or within the city limits of Santa Fe.
To Apply for a Permit
Complete the Oversize/Overweight Permit Application
insurance certificate with your application. In addition to emailing or faxing the application, you can contact any of the below personal. Please contact in the listed order and allow additional time for a response.
- Public Safety Aid - Abileen Chavez, [bot protected email address] or call (505) 955-5320
- Sergeant Jason Patty, [bot protected email address] or call (505) 955-5107