- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have a good driving record and possess a valid Class-D New Mexico driver's license.
- Must have a record clear of felony convictions or crimes involving moral turpitude or violations of public trust.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be a United States citizen and establish New Mexico residency within six months of hire.
Laterals’ Certifications / Licensures / Registrations
- Current certification by the New Mexico Law Enforcement Academy.
- Out-of-state applicants must meet the requirements and qualify for a Certification by Waiver class through the New Mexico Department of Public Safety.
- Must have a good driving record and possess a valid Class D New Mexico driver's license.
- Must take the Santa Fe Police Department placement tests (No physical fitness test required).
See Testing Dates
Must successfully pass the following:
- Written exam
- Physical agility tests (cadets only) - See Physical Fitness Standards (PDF)
- Oral interview
- Polygraph examination
- Background examination
- Psychological examination
- Complete medical examination
- Drug screening test
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to use specialized equipment, including but not limited to firearms, communications equipment and computers
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective and professional working relationship with co-workers and the general public
- Ability to meet deadlines with severe time constraints
- Knowledge of the City geography is helpful
For more information or questions, contact the Recruitment and Training Division.