News & Announcements
The Santa Fe Police Department is taking a multi-pronged approach to combat speeding, drag racing, muffler violations, reckless driving, and careless driving. As of today, August 26, the Department had made 5,312 traffic stops and issued more than 5,509 citations for violations in 2021.
Since July 23, the Department has been conducting OPERATION ROAD SNARE, which will conclude August 28. Thus far, it has resulted in 50 citations, 28 verbal warnings, 1 arrest. The operational objectives and plan are:
- Increase traffic enforcement in the focused zones of the downtown area.
- Decrease racing, unsafe driving, and associated noise in the affected area.
- Focus on specified zones identified as frequently hosting racing in the evening and early morning hours.
DOWNTOWN TARGET LOCATIONS:
- Galisteo Zone – Alameda to West San Francisco
- Lincoln Zone – Federal to Palace
- Federal Zone – Washington to Grant
- Grant Zone – Federal to Palace
- Washington Zone – Palace to Federal
- Santa Fe Plaza Zone
As a reminder to motorists, the Support Operations Section uses signage and message boards to encourage motorists to drive safely and respectfully.
SFPD Chief Andrew Padilla says: “This is about your safety and the safety of others, we want you to arrive at your destination safely. We do not want to respond to anymore fatal crashes. It’s up to all of us to keep our roadways safe. Look out for pedestrians and bicyclists!”
Residents who wish to report reckless driving may call the non-emergency number: (505) 428-3700.