News & Announcements
The Santa Fe Public Libraries will be closed on November 28-29, 2013, Thanksgiving and Friday. However, all branches will be open on Saturday for regular hours and the Main Library will be open on Sunday.
The Santa Fe Public Libraries offers lots of activities for residents to enjoy, but also needs your involvement. Upcoming events and needs include:
Charlie Williams, the Noise Guy, “Many Noises, One Mouth”
Let’s make some NOISE in the library! Charlie Williams, the Noise Guy, encourages children to read – with vigor and noise. Please join us for this free and noisy program.
Funded by the Mary Dolores Vocelle Estate and sponsored by the Friends of the Santa Fe Public Library.
145 Washington Ave.
Saturday, December 7
La Farge Branch Library
1730 Llano St.
Saturday, December 7
Southside Branch Library
6599 Jaguar Dr.
The Library will participate in the Santa Fe Alternative Gift Market and Needs Help:
The Library will be participating in the Santa Fe Alternative Gift Market for the third year. The Market will take place in the De Vargas Mall, December 6 through 15th. The Alternative Gift Market will be open regular Mall Holiday hours. A special kick-off and ribbon cutting will be held on Friday, December 6th from 5:00-7:00 pm. Actress Ali McGraw is the honorary chairperson and will be present to open the Alternative Gift Market.
Volunteers are needed to staff the Library table to let people know what the Library does to support children and the Books for Babies program. Hours are available each weekend, December 7-8, and December 14-15, 10:00-5:00—plan to donate a couple of hours that will really make a difference. This is a great opportunity to bring your children to help other children. To volunteer please call 505-955-6788.
Volunteers and visitors to the market will also be able to enjoy coffee, hot cider, and holiday-baked goods while considering their donations. On Sunday, December 8, the Santo Nino School’s choir, grades 3-6, will provide a holiday concert. Come get into the holiday mood!
In 2012 the Library received $2,800 from the generous donors attending the Alternative Gift market.
The Market will be open both weekends, December 7-8, and December 14-15, including weekday evenings.
The Alternative Gift market provides people with the opportunity to purchase gifts that provide urgently needed assistance to local and international organizations providing shelter, medical help, and food, working to reduce illiteracy and assisting homeless veterans, among other projects. People can choose from close to 60 different items. The choice literally runs from A to Z. This popular type of market is held through the US. All donations are tax deductible.
Among those participating in Santa Fe are:
- The Santa Fe Public Library and Books For Babies, where books can be purchased for newborns and for the Library to provide books for the thousands of children seeking books to check out. Last year almost 200,000 library children’s books were checked out! Books are needed to replenish the book collections which provide a wide selection for parents at the libraries. New mothers are given a book to take home from the hospital through Books For Babies. These two needs are supportive of early literacy efforts.
- La Familia provides free dental care and other health assistance
- Santa Fe’s Interfaith Shelter provides safe shelter
- Veterans helping veterans works to support homeless veterans
- Esperanza provides housing and help for abused women and their families
- The Alternative Gifts International is a non-profit which offers dozens of projects that can be supported worldwide in the areas of health, education, literacy and humanitarian causes. They provide an alternative for donors to designate charitable gifts through carefully selected agencies around the world.
To volunteer to support our literacy projects or for more information contact the Library at 505-955-6789.