News & Announcements
The Appointment Will Go Before Governing Body On
Wednesday, January 29
After a nationwide search generating 52 applicants, Interim City Manager Jarel LaPan Hill has accepted an offer to make the position permanent. LaPan Hill, who is 38, has served as Interim City Manager since September 13, 2019, when she succeeded previous City Manager Erik Litzenberg.
“I am excited, delighted and encouraged by the support I have received from the Mayor, my colleagues, and City residents,” said LaPan Hill. “Having a chance to serve the City I grew up in, at this moment of change, is a true honor. “
LaPan Hill will provide a seamless transition during a time of intense and positive change for the City, and has already built an intimate knowledge of the day-to-day duties of the job. She served as the Mayor’s Chief of Staff for a year and a half, earning $88K a year. As interim City Manager her salary was $155K. Terms of her contract will be part of the Council negotiations on Wednesday.
- Graduate of Capital High School
- BA in Political Science from George Washington University in Washington, DC.
- Served as Chief of Staff to Deputy Secretary at Department of Health of Human Services under the Obama administration.
City of Santa Fe - Santa Fe, NM
Interim City Manager
- Serves as Chief Operating Officer for the City of Santa Fe, providing direct oversight and management of the entire operation of City Government, implementing policies and establishing procedures as set out by the Governing Body.
- Spearheads large scale projects like the implementation of the ERP modernization and Midtown Santa Fe Redevelopment.
- Implemented team meeting approach, building collaboration among 17 department directors and staff.
Chief of Staff
March 2018-September 2019
- Working with City Manager stood up the administration for the first full-time, executive mayor for a government of 1400 employees with 17 departments.
- Manage day to day operations in the mayor's office, provide strategic engagement with the City Council and serve as a liaison for the mayor to state and local elected officials.
- Recruited and hired 14 department directors – including 10 women in leadership positions – to implement the mayor’s long-term strategy for the city.
- Developed a comprehensive housing strategy, including new regulations to govern accessory dwelling units, a crackdown on short-term rentals, the development of housing on city-owned land in all districts and new incentives for affordable rental units as part of the city’s inclusionary zoning ordinance.
- Created the Office of Constituent and Council Services in order to engage city residents in a comprehensive and ongoing manner.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services - Washington, DC
Chief of Staff to the Deputy Secretary; Senior Advisor, Immediate Office of the Secretary
January 2009 - January 2017
- Senior Executive Service political appointee in the Obama Administration, advising the Secretary and Deputy Secretary on critical issues, special projects, strategic planning, daily operations, and executing decisions on their behalf. Major projects included implementation of the Affordable Care Act, early childhood initiatives, and high-priority issues at the FDA, CDC, CMS, and NIH.
- Advised and supported development, prioritization, and implementation of Administration policies, programs, and special projects, including the annual Departmental budget planning of nearly $1 trillion, coordination with the National Security Council on policy development related to classified information and health security, and outreach to women and patient advocacy organizations for Affordable Care Act open enrollment.
- Oversaw $14 million budget for the Immediate Office of the Secretary, managed staff, and advised Secretary and Deputy Secretary on scheduling decisions and high-profile trips and events.
- Led strategic planning and crisis management response efforts for unprecedented influx of unaccompanied children crossing the U.S. border. Drove long-term planning and daily operations by working across program and policy teams. Engaged with external partners, cabinet agencies, and state and local governments.
- Advised and coordinated the Department-wide strategic plans on tobacco, health care acquired infections, health disparities, Million Hearts, HHS conference spending, and government-mandated small business contracting goals.
- Integrated the inaugural Chief Technology Officer (CTO) and CTO’s staff into the Deputy Secretary's office. Helped drive the CTO’s impact by identifying opportunities for collaboration and innovation in the Department, resulting in the launch of the annual Health Datapalooza conference and the HHS IDEA (Innovation, Design, Entrepreneurship and Action) Lab.
Obama-Biden Presidential Transition Team - Washington, DC
Agency Review Team Coordinator, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
November 2008 - January 2009
- Managed over 30 members of the HHS Agency Review Team and identified areas of priority action. Developed the Department’s 100 Day Action Plan for the incoming Obama Administration and coordinated outreach to key stakeholders on the plan.
- Managed the Deputy Secretary nominee’s preparation for Senate confirmation, including facilitating hearing preparation sessions, coordinating meetings with Senators, and drafting and reviewing responses to questionnaires.
State Auditor’s Office - Helena, MT
Health Policy Coordinator
February 2006 - February 2007
- Prepared background briefs and position papers on health insurance legislation and policy issues; worked with senior policy team to set direction for final two years of State Auditor’s term.
- Represented the office during legislative committee hearings and met with key stakeholders to help drive the State Auditor’s agenda.
- Designed and implemented earned media campaign to increase awareness and enrollment for Insure Montana, the state’s small business health insurance program; created new visual interface and content for its website.
GMMB, Inc - Washington, DC
January 2005 - December 2005
- Facilitated communication between Senior Vice President, health-related account teams, and clients on major campaigns, including the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s Covering Kids & Families – Back-to-School
- Coordinated the Covering Kids & Families account team’s marketing and communications efforts.
Relevant Political Experience
Obama for America (OFA)
State Director (Oregon & Massachusetts); Political Director (Oregon & Rhode Island); Political Desk (New Hampshire)
March 2007 - November 2008
2004 Presidential Campaign
General Election, Democratic National Committee; Primary Election, Dean for America-New Hampshire
June 2003 - November 2004
George Washington University, Washington, DC
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, magna cum laude, 2003
City of Santa Fe
200 Lincoln Ave.
Santa Fe, NM 87501
E: [bot protected email address]