News & Announcements
SANTA FE, NM, June 3, 2019 – The Bicycle Trails Advisory Committee (BTAC) was established in 2003 by a resolution of the governing body to bring direct community involvement into the city’s plans and policies related to bicycle and pedestrian trails, and to advise the governing body on such matters. Applicants need not be bicyclists, all trail users are welcome to apply. DEADLINE for submissions is 5 p.m. June 30, 2019.
The duties of the committee include:
- Prioritize bicycle and pedestrian trail related projects and review all phases of the projects' design and construction progress.
- Advise on policies, programs and ordinances as they relate to bicycle and pedestrian trail safety, design and construction;
- Organize media and educational campaigns to provide information and promote bicycle and pedestrian trail related activities and education;
- Work with other agencies for the enhancement of city and county trail systems;
- Review and recommend Parks Master Plan updates related to trails;
- Seek funding from city, state and federal sources;
- Pursue designation of the city of Santa Fe as a bicycle friendly city; and
- Advise on policies, projects, ordinances and funding as they relate to cycling and pedestrians as safe alternative means of transportation on roads and trails.
BTAC is currently chaired by City Councilor JoAnne Vigil Coppler, and the committee is now seeking new members. Members are recommended by the city council to be appointed by the Mayor, with a balance of membership diversity based upon area of interest, council-district residency, and recently with the option to include a county resident. Applicants must live in Santa Fe County and there is no compensation.
Councilor JoAnne Vigil Coppler said, “We are very excited for BTAC to begin leveraging the city’s outstanding trail system into the our economic development objectives, as well as extending the trail system to better serve the entire community as an alternative mode of transportation for health and recreation. ”
BTAC meets on the third Wednesday of each month from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the City Council Chambers, 200 Lincoln Avenue, Santa Fe, New Mexico. The meetings are open to the public.
Interested residents may apply by submitting a letter of interest and a resume to:
Robert M. Siqueiros
City of Santa Fe, P.O. Box 909
Santa Fe, NM 87504-0909
Or by Email: [bot protected email address]
The remaining BTAC meetings for 2019 are scheduled for:
- July 17, 2019
- August 21, 2019
- September 18, 2019
- October 16, 2019
- November 20, 2019
- December 18, 2019
DEADLINE for submissions is 5 p.m. June 30, 2019.
Contact: Robert Siqueiros/ Staff Liaison; (505) 955-6853, [bot protected email address]