News & Announcements
Safe. Open. Together
16 AND UP VACCINE-ELIGIBLE NEXT WEEK: Today, the New Mexico DOH announced that starting next Monday, April 5, everyone 16 and older will be eligible to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. Currently, Phases 1A, 1B, and 1C are eligible, and now Phase 2 will be, too. The DOH will continue to prioritize vaccine invitations for Phase 1A, residents 75 years and older, and 60 and older with a chronic condition. New Mexico is nearly a month ahead of the May 1 deadline posed by President Biden for making all adults eligible. The Department has chosen to open Phase because providers in some parts of the state are no longer able to fill appointments within Phases 1A, 1B, and 1C.
NO CODE NEEDED FOR 75+: The New Mexico Department of Health announced Monday that seniors 75 and up no longer need an event code in order to get an appointment to be vaccinated. New Mexicans in this age group who have registered to receive the COVID-19 vaccine can access their profile at vaccinenm.org and click on the “schedule your appointment” button and follow the prompts. Those 75+ residents who have not registered can call the vaccine hotline 1-855-600-3453 and press option 4 or register at vaccinenm.org.
MORE DEMAND, MORE SUPPLY: The DOH expects that the spike in eligibility will be met by an increased supply. The CDC has indicated that states should expect meaningful increases in vaccine supply over the coming weeks, including the one-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine. New Mexico continues to lead the nation in vaccine distribution, and DOH encourages all New Mexicans to register at vaccineNM.org. New Mexicans who have vaccine questions can visit vaccineNM.org/facts. You can track the numbers on the DOH dashboard.
GET REGISTERED: Currently, 64% of Santa Fe County residents have registered to be vaccinated, which leaves 36% who have not. If you or someone you know needs help getting registered, you can now call 1-855-600-3453, press option 0 for vaccine questions, and then option 4 for tech support. The call center is open every day from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. You can also register online at vaccinenm.org. On the website there are options to choose your preferred language of English, Spanish, or Vietnemese.
MASK UP, IT’S STILL THE LAW: The new Emergency Proclamation VIII – COVID-19 – March 29, 2021 that Mayor Webber signed Monday is a powerful reminder that despite the progress being made with vaccinations and infections and re-openings and relaxed restrictions, the City is still under a health emergency. Among other requirements, wearing a mask when out in public is still the law: “Unless a healthcare provider instructs otherwise or the State exempts a person from wearing a facial covering, all individuals shall wear a mask or facial covering in public settings except when eating or drinking.” This crucial piece of the public health effort is not in vain. Yesterday, New Mexico announced 148 cases statewide, with only three attributed to Santa Fe County. This helps us remain at the turquoise level! We can’t afford to let our guards down now. In places that have relaxed their restrictions too soon, infections are on the rise again.
TAX RETURN ADVICE: Depending on your situation, you might be able to increase your third stimulus check by filing your tax return right away. That's because your next stimulus check will be based on either your 2019 tax return or your 2020 return – whichever one was most recently filed and processed when the IRS starts processing your third stimulus payment. For those whose income was less in 2020, that would mean a higher check.
SANCTUARY CITY: Undocumented residents of Santa Fe may understandably be wary about registering for and receiving vaccines--but there’s nothing to worry about. There is no requirement at any stage of the process to declare immigration status. In a pandemic, what’s good for one of us is good for all of us.
WHEN IS AN ALLERGY NOT AN ALLERGY? Those sniffly-sneezy-clogged up symptoms are coming around again, but allergy-sufferers should not assume they’re just the usual seasonal attack--it could be you-know-what. "Get tested to make sure," says Dr. Wendy Johnson, Medical Director of La Familia Medical Center.
NEED HELP? GET HELP:
- If you are in need of resources, whether it’s food, or help due to unemployment, or dealing with a housing crisis, go to gov/CONNECTfor direction to resources that help during these tough economic times.
- COVID-fatigue is real. If you or a loved one is suffering with mental and/or behavioral health issues, please call 1-855-NMCRISIS hotline, reach out to your health care provider, and talk to a family member or friend immediately.
BEFORE YOU GO: Here are reminders of some helpful resources: