News & Announcements
Mayor Gonzales to Honor Six Individuals with Awards
Mayor Javier M. Gonzales and the City of Santa Fe Arts Commission cordially invite the public to attend the 25th Annual Mayor’s Awards for Excellence in the Arts, Thursday, October 23, 2014, 6:30 to 9:30 PM in the Sweeney Ballroom at the Santa Fe Community Convention Center.
The Mayor’s Awards recognize individuals who have made a significant contribution to the arts in Santa Fe. This year’s recipients are George Ancona, Lawrence Fodor, Talia Kosh, Joanne Lefrak, and Jason Silverman. Danny Cron will also receive the Melissa Engestrom Youth Artist Award.
Tickets are $70 per person which includes hors d’oeuvres, a three course meal and the awards ceremony. Reservations may be made online at www.SantaFeArtsCommission.org, or by calling, 505-955-6707. Interested parties are advised to call quickly as seats are already nearly sold out!
“Culture is a critical component of Santa Fe and our economy. Artists are the foundation of our creative community,” states Mayor Javier M. Gonzales. “I look forward to honoring these six outstanding individuals with awards for their dedication to the arts.”
Recipients of the 2014 Mayor’s Awards for Excellence in the Arts are an inspiring group of individuals who have demonstrated both artistic excellence and commitment to the arts in Santa Fe:
- George Ancona is an award-winning photographer, illustrator and author with more than a 110 books to his credit.
- An accomplished painter, Lawrence Fodor has been producing and exhibiting work locally, regionally and nationally for more than three decades.
- Talia Kosh is the co-president and founder of New Mexico Lawyers for the Arts (NMLA), a nonprofit dedicated to providing artists and arts organizations with pro bono legal assistance.
- As an artist, educator and youth advocate Joanne Lefrak has shown an exceptional commitment to the arts in her personal, professional and community life.
- Jason Silverman has been producing, curating and presenting films and events in New Mexico for nearly 20 years.
- Danny Cron, recipient of the 2014 Melissa Engestrom Youth Artist Award, has demonstrated an outstanding commitment to the arts, dedication to the craft of acting, academic achievement and community service.
The Mayor’s Awards for Excellence in the Arts were established in 1989. Over the course of its 25 year history, the Mayor’s Awards have recognized over 100 individuals, organizations and companies that have made significant contributions to the arts. Selected for their exceptional achievements, artistic excellence and ongoing commitment to arts and culture, the Mayor’s Awards recipient embody the best of Santa Fe’s creative community.
The 2014 Mayor’s Awards for Excellence in the Arts are generously sponsored by Century Bank.