The Network Support section is responsible for the configuration, installation, support and maintenance of the City's network infrastructure and telephone systems, and all attached and unattached associated devices - excluding the IBM AS400 and its associated applications. The managed growth of personal computing devices, network infrastructure, and the telephone system is a premiere concern and activity of the Network Support section. The Network Support section is also responsible for assisting departments with the procurement of cellular telephones and pager service. This involves assistance with selecting adequate service plans and coordination of installations and billing activity.
Network Support responsibilities include:
- Configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting servers, routers, switches, repeaters, bridges, gateways, extenders, and telephony systems.
- Evaluating and deploying hot fixes, security patches, and anti-virus solutions throughout the network.
- Configuring and installing operating systems, desktop applications, and network software.
- Providing user support and problem resolution for desktop computers, network access, E-mail, Internet, and server-based applications.
- Providing remote access to the network via VPN, Internet, and dial-up services.
- Testing and evaluating hardware and software to determine efficiency, reliability, and compatibility with existing systems.
- Limited training for users on proper usage of network resources, workstation hardware/software, and telephone systems.
- Planning, prioritizing, scheduling, tracking and implementing customer support operations and maintenance involving central computer systems, networking, PCs, workstations, and server hardware/software requirements.
- Managing E-mail and Web systems.
- Planning, scheduling, testing, and implementing computer disaster-recovery planning. Ensuring optimal system and data backup and recovery strategies.
- Implementing network security and firewall operations.
- Planning, prioritizing, scheduling, tracking and implementing customer-support operations and maintenance involving central computer systems, networking, PCs, workstations, and server hardware/software requirements.