Frequently Asked Questions


Do union workers get better benefits?

Union workers are more likely than their non-union counterparts to receive health care and pension benefits. More than eight out of ten union members are covered by health insurance and have a pension plan — versus fewer than half of those not in a union. More info »

Do union workers get higher wages?

Workers who are union members earn 30 percent more than non-union workers. Union wages are even greater for women and people of color. Women and African Americans represented by unions earn over 33 percent more than their non-union counterparts. And Latino workers with the union advantage make over 46 percent more than those not represented by a union. More info »

Why do I need a Union now?

Big corporations and anti-worker politicians are attacking public employees and the services we provide. Their goal is simple: privatize our jobs, strip us of our rights and dismantle the public sector. They’re going after our wages, our pensions and our health care. And in 2005, newly elected governors in Indiana, Kentucky and Missouri took away the bargaining rights of all state employees. This can happen anywhere. In Washington, D.C., and in state capitols across the country, it’s the same old thing: politicians side with the rich and powerful, and neglect the needs of middle-class families. Whether you are a public employee or work for a private company providing public services, we have to act now to stop the right-wing rush to lower our wages and benefits and eliminate our rights. That’s why building a strong union is so important now. More info »

Why do I need a Union?

Simply talking about issues that affect public service employees isn't enough. To make a difference, our voices must be heard. And we can be heard only when we organize as a union and gain the strength to make real change. Together, our collective voice is heard -- on the job and in state legislatures and city halls. More info »

Energy Efficiency

Does the city have any plans to use wind power?

The local wind resources are not sufficient to justify investment in wind power.

Should I put a solar energy system on my house?

Before investing in renewable energy upgrades, the City recommends strongly that homeowners implement energy efficiency measures first. Insulate the roof and walls, upgrade windows and doors and replace old appliances with Energy Star appliances. After making upgrades, you could choose to add a solar system. Solar thermal generates hot water that can be used for domestic use or home heating and photovoltaic panels generate electricity. Contact the Energy Specialist at 955-6693 for more information.

What can I do to save energy?

Visit the U.S. Department of Energy's website for a complete listing of energy saving tips. More info »

What rebates are available for energy efficiency?

PNM is currently offering home lighting rebates at Information on PNM's refrigerator recycling program and new construction rebates is available at New Mexico Gas Company also offers rebates for upgrades on items such as residential insulation and low flow shower heads. For more information go to:

Municipal Court

Can I complete community service other than what was listed on the printout by the court?

Most non-profit, non-religious organizations qualify as community service, however, you should always contact the Court for verification and approval at (505) 955-5108.

How can I find out when the date of my trial is?

Call the Municipal Court at (505) 955-5070 and provide either the name and date of birth of the defendant, name of witness/victim, or the type of case.

How can I request for my records to be released?

* In person - fill out records request form and provide name, date of birth and what kind of request is needed, a government issued picture I.D. is required * Fax - (505) 955-5125 - provide name, date of birth, and what kind of request is needed, a government issued picture I.D. is required

How can I reschedule my court date?

Call (505) 955-5070 to reschedule a traffic case, and provide your name and date of birth. Your case will not be rescheduled if you simply leave a message. Only the Judge can reschedule most cases. You will need to come to court to reschedule those cases.

How do I find out about the status of my bond money?

Call the Municipal Court accountant at (505) 955-5054 and provide the defendant's name, date of birth, and/or case number.

How long does a court session usually last?

A court session usually lasts one or two hours.

How many points is the offense cited worth on my driver's license?

Contact the Motor Vehicle Division at (888) 683-4636.

If I have a bench warrant and go to Court, will I be arrested?

The Judge will make the decision bases on your case.

In what order do I appear in front of the Judge for an arraignment?

For most matters, you appear in front of the Judge in the order that you sign in.

What can you plead at an arraignment?

* Not Guilty * No Contest * Guilty

What days/times are traffic court?

* Mondays - sessions begin at 8:30am & 10:00am * Fridays at 8:30am & 10:00am * Arrive earlier than your scheduled time; it is first-come first-serve to see the Judge for scheduled hearings

What do I do if my license is suspended?

Contact the Motor Vehicle Division at (888) 683-4636. Request a printout of your record. Take care of all outstanding cases with the appropriate court and obtain clearances from the courts. Take the clearances back to Motor Vehicle Division and pay the $27 reinstatement fee.

What is an arraignment?

When the defendant appears in front of the Judge to be read charges against him/her and for the defendant to enter a plea.

What is unsupervised probation?

If you are given a sentence of unsupervised probation you do not have to report to a Probation Officer, however, you are still required to comply with all court-ordered conditions and have no further violations.

What will happen if I fail to appear, fail to comply with court orders, or fail to pay fines?

The Judge will issue a summons to appear in court, a bench warrant for your arrest and/or suspend your driver's license.


How do I report a minor traffic collision?

If you need to report a minor traffic collision (damage less than $500) or a private property collision, please print out the private property collision report form (document) and contact the Santa Fe County RECC ( (428-3710) for a case number. You may then retain the document for your own records and/or turn over a copy of the report to the Santa Fe Police Department Records Division (link to records page). More info »

What are Animal Control's Hours of Operation?

Hours of operation: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday More info »

You Are Now Leaving The City of Santa Fe Website

Links to external, or third party web sites, are provided solely for visitors' convenience. Following links to other sites is done so at your own risk and the owners of this Website accept no liability for any linked sites or their content.

Any link from the our site to an external web site does not imply that we endorse or accept any responsibility for its use. It is important for users to take necessary precautions, especially to ensure appropriate safety from viruses, worms, trojans and other potentially destructive items. Users should review the privacy policies of external web sites and other terms of use to learn more about what, why and how they collect and use any personally identifiable information.


Open Alert