Benefits of Using Compost
- Improves the soil structure, porosity and density, creating a better plant root environment.
- Improves filtration and permeability of heavy solids, thus reducing erosion and runoff.
- Improves water-holding capacity, thus reducing water loss and leaching sandy soils.
- Supplies a variety of macro- and micro-nutrients.
- May control or suppress certain soil-borne plant pathogens.
- Supplies significant quantities of organic matter.
- Improves the ability to hold nutrients for plant use.
- Can bind and degrade specific pollutants.