Winterize Irrigation Systems
To minimize the risk of freeze damage to your landscape irrigation system, you will need to winterize before the first freeze and preferably no later than the end of October. Some suggestions include:
- The exterior faucet or hose bib needs to have its water supply turned off inside the house if possible and water drained by opening up the exterior faucet. If no inside shut off is available, exterior foam insulating covers should be utilized.
- Disconnect and drain water hoses.
- Disconnect drip timers and drip systems from outdoor faucets.
- Shut off the main water supply to the irrigation system and drain the system.
- Drain the backflow preventer.
- Open all manual drain valves in the irrigation system.
- Open automatic valve manual bleed screws.
- Turn irrigation controller off.
- Have a qualified licensed contractor perform the “Blow Out” method.
For detailed information on how to minimize the risk of freeze damage, visit Hunter's Winterizing Your Irrigation System.