Mayor's Committee on Disability
The Mayor's Committee on Disability's purpose is to work with and for people with and without disabilities to ensure access for all by eliminating physical and attitudinal barriers, and improving participation in the Santa Fe community for the enrichment of all. As clarified in Resolution 2006-151, this advisory committee:
- Studies issues of disability in regards to city programs, including but not limited to, those in the areas of housing, human rights, employment, recreation, and transportation.
- Advises the Governing Body regarding city programs that provide services to persons with disabilities, including, without limitation, those in the areas of housing, human rights, employment, recreation, transportation services, and access.
- Recommends short-range and long-range priorities in those areas of housing, human rights, employment, recreation, and transportation services relating to persons with disabilities.
- Appoints subcommittees to review and comment on preliminary plans of city public works projects such as any new building, any building repair or remodeling that costs more than $25,000, any new park or recreational facility, any improvement to a park or recreational facility that costs more than $25,000, and any new pedestrian construction that costs more than $10,000.
- Assists the city in community outreach and education, and staff training, regarding issues of disability.
- Cooperates with other city boards and committees, including, without limitation, those in the areas of housing, human rights, employment, recreation, and transportation.
The nine members are appointed by the Mayor with the approval of the City Council.
Members include, as of 1/12/2011:
Ronda Villa, Chair
Marcia Bowman, Vice Chair
Hope Reed, Citizen Advocate
The chairperson and the vice chairperson are elected by the members, and the chairperson appoints sub-committees and sub-committee chairpersons as needed.
This committee's monthly meetings are open to the public and are currently held at the Genoveva Chavez Community Center on the third Thursday of each month from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon. Ten minutes at the beginning of every meeting is allocated for public comment; contacting the Chair or ADA Coordinator/Staff Liaison in advance is appreciated.
For more information about the committee, please contact the committee chair or the ADA Coordinator/Staff Liaison.
Ronda Villa, Chair
Joseph L. Lujan ADA Coordinator/Staff Liaison