Education and Outreach
Actions Included in the Plan
- Identify training and education needs within each section of this Plan, eliminating overlap while recognizing synergistic opportunities.
- Identify and develop a curriculum integration task group made up of local public and private K-12 school teachers as well as climate and sustainability education groups.
- Identify local public and private K-12 schoolteachers.
- Identify qualified technical resources for teacher continuing education in concepts and subject areas related to climate change and sustainability e.g. alternative energy, ecology, water resources, diversity, etc.
- Provide task group members with training on climate change and sustainability topics.
- Facilitate the development of an integration plan for sustainability in the school system, and respective schools.
- Establish incentives for integration of sustainability concepts into local schools.
- Work with the State Department of Education and SFPS to have them accept sustainability as one of their primary learning goals and toward the integration of Sustainability as part of the K – 12 Standards and Benchmarks.
- Identify informal educational resources for climate and sustainability education.
- Conduct a community-wide asset mapping of organizations and resources for climate and sustainability education at all levels e.g. informal and formal, K-12 and post secondary etc. and identify goals, objectives, funding sources and timeline for existence of such programs or assets within year one of this Plan.
- Develop a resource guide or work with existing projects to provide a resource list to consumers of such information.
- Develop both formal and informal (non-degree seeking) education programs.
- Develop materials for community based action that addresses climate change by working with a variety of resource organizations and others.
- Develop a cadre of informed community members from many community sectors that can effectively utilize the City of Santa Fe Community Climate Education session(s) to implement actions and programs within their respective groups.
- Support local and regional educational initiatives that strengthen more local markets for sustainable products and services.
- Work with existing initiatives such as Bioneers and others to establish an annual sustainability education conference for teachers, parents, and youth that focuses on the integration of sustainability and related topics into the schools system, while providing resources to its participants.
- Direct City support and funding towards educational materials development and training, and when appropriate, towards organizations that offer needed solutions.