Development and Zoning Code
Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Transect of New Urbanism Concept by Duany Plater-Zyberk & Co.
- The layout of cities and the distribution of land uses can effect how much people need to travel. When locations of jobs, schools, shopping, and services are nearby, vehicular travel can either be shortened or replaced with alternatives modes.
- The layout of streets, parcels, and the placement of structures on a site affects the ability to take advantage of energy efficient design and to deliver alternative transportation modes.
- Zoning Code dictates where different land uses are allowed, structures placement and height.
- The Development Code, including the Zoning Code, need to be reviewed for opportunities for GHG emissions reduction and for adaptation to a changing climate in such areas as transportation, solar gain and shading, food growing, and water harvesting and usage.
Actions Included in the Plan
- Amend the Development Code to make access to solar exposure a property right thereby encouraging investments in solar equipment and design.
- Amend the Development Code to encourage use of gray water for landscape watering and other uses such as toilet flushing.
- Amend the Development Code to encourage use of cisterns and other water harvesting techniques that use rainwater to reduce use of tap water for landscape watering.
- Amend the Development Code to encourage natural vegetation shading of buildings and hardscape surfaces as vegetation both absorbs CO2 and provides shading from unwanted solar gain in the summer, reducing the need for mechanical cooling.
- Amend the Development Code to require subdivisions be laid out to enable maximum feasible use of solar design, solar equipment, and the ability to use stormwater to reduce water demand.
- Amend the Development Code to encourage locally grown food to both reduce GHG emissions and prepare for future rises in fuel costs to transport food into the area.
- Encourage Passive Solar Building Design.
- Amend the zoning code to encorporate some aspects of performance zoning to allow for a greater variety of compatible uses which reduce the number and length of vehicle trips.
- Encourage Development of Affordable Energy Efficient Housing
- Anend the Development Code to require large development projects and subdivisions to provide safe bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure.